What is integrative medicine?
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship between patient and physician and makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
Tell me about Acadia Integrative Medicine...
Acadia Integrative Medicine is a whole new approach to healthcare. The practice is designed with four mission goals:
1. to provide exceptional, personalized integrative care to each and every patient
2. to supply patients with the tools they need to lead healthy lives and encourage patients to be active participants in
3. to optimize care by utilizing both conventional western medicine and proven practices from other healing traditions
and alternative medicine.
4. to enhance communication between physician and patients
Acadia Integrative Medicine is an Ideal Medical Practice, what does that mean?
Many physicians in private practice are closing their doors because of increasing costs and decreasing reimbursements. In response to this trend, a new model of medicine called an "Ideal Medical Practice" has been developed and successfully implemented in over 500 offices across the nation. An ideal medical practice reduces overhead costs (mostly by decreasing staff and rent), integrates the use of technology (such as on-line scheduling) and emphasizes the direct relationship between patient and physician. By reducing overhead a family physician can reduce the number of patients that need to be seen. The benefits of this model include:
- One-on-one relationship with your doctor - you know you will be seen by your doctor and not another provider*
- Prompt scheduling. Acadia Integrative Medicine has a “sick today, seen today” policy.
- Fewer patients seen in a day allowing you to spend more time with your physician.
*If Dr. Seed is out of the office you can contact her by phone. She will also provide you with a list of offices where you can be seen for urgent issues.
What if I need an x-ray, labs drawn or a specialty consult?
Patients of Acadia Integrative Medicine have the option of having x-rays, labs or specialty services at the place of their choice - including Eastern Maine Medical Center or Blue Hill Hospital. Dr. Seed will provide you with the necessary order or help you schedule the visit.